BEST NEW ALBUMS // The Strokes, Wavves, Peace, The Virgins
Put your judgement of their older albums aside (besides Peace, considering this is their first album) and I swear, you’ll love the new ones. I think everyone has been too worried with comparing them to the past albums and just not enjoying the quality of the individual albums. Let’s start with The Strokes. Comedown Machine is a beautiful album, I swear it. It’s not the old Strokes but with that thought aside (and even with), I don’t see how it’s so hard to enjoy it. Secondly, Wavves’ Afraid of Heights. Maybe it’s Nathan Williams’ natural beach-punk voice that makes the sound even truer to California but I think the sound of this album is definitely solid. Thirdly, Peace caught my attention on my first time hearing Follow Baby and how ridiculously trippy that music video was (I really enjoyed it). Needless to say, I highly anticipated their new album In Love because I just knew that it was gonna be good. And I thought right! They sort of remind me of Wavves meets Two Door Cinema Club but that’s just a personal thought. Check ‘em out though, I predict great things for them. Last but not least, The Virgins’ Strike Gently. This album is just really mellow yet fun. Definitely a shake your shoulders and tap your foot kind of fun.
Just for first-time listeners, I picked out a few songs from each album that can possibly give you your favorite new band.
- One Way Trigger - so beautifully sang. Kudos, Jules.
- Welcome To Japan - one of their funner songs. I can’t help but dance every time.
- Tap Out - a foot tapping song. Hence, “Tap Out” (just kidding, I really doubt that it’s titled that because of that reason)
Afraid Of Heights:
- Afraid Of Heights - I picked this one not because it was a single, but I just always enjoy the harmonies.
- Paranoid - If you’re looking for a quick song to give you a small overview of the album, Paranoid is a good song to start with. It’s fun and definitely gets me feeling like I need to run all over the place.
- Lounge Forward - I think this is one of my favorite songs in the album, I think I just love Nathan’s voice most in this one.
- Higher Than The Sun - this is a great song to start with because it was love at first listen.
- Bloodshake - because it’s a great song to end with…
- California Daze - a slower song of theirs, but imagining how this would sound live gets me excited.
- Impressions of You - This song is just, for a lack of better words, adorable?? I don’t know. It’s soft, pleasant, and I wish they played it live when I saw them.
- Prima Materia - Although it’s not the same band besides Donald (the lead singer), I’ve always admired the instruments. The sound is always crisp and smooth, I’ve noticed especially in this song.
- Figure On The Ice - The guitar riffs are absolutely sick in this. Makes me nostalgic for some reason.
(note - I am not a The Strokes, Wavves, Peace, or The Virgins expert or huge fanatic so apologies if my opinion might’ve possibly offended some older/bigger fans! I’m just trying to share some good tunes not really review the albums)